Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Celtic Red

The term “Legend” is thrown around in sports today at far to frequent a pace. We hear about legendary players, legendary franchises or legendary coaches. To be qualified as a “Legend” in sports, or even society, is a distinction that few people truly should have bestowed upon them. The National Basketball Association, the Boston Celtics and the entire sports world lost a legendary man this past weekend.

Arnold “Red” Auerbach passed away in his Washington home late Saturday evening from a heart attack. Red is well known through the sports world as a great basketball coach as well as the architect behind the Celtics’ 16 NBA Championships. His keen eye for talent and his ability to see the long range view of players or the needs of his team was a skill that was unmatched by his peers during the more than 50 years that he was running the Boston Celtics. Red drafted players before their eligibility was completed, took chances on players that other teams had labeled “soft”, and drafted players that did not fit the typical standards set by other franchises.

As talented as Red was as a basketball coach and general manager, his greatest accomplishments may have been felt by society as a whole. Red was color blind to the racism of society during the 1950’s and 1960’s. Under Red’s leadership, the Celtics drafted the first African-American player in NBA history, started the first all-black starting lineup, and named Bill Russell the first black coach in league history. Auerbach cared about winning and only winning. Race, religion and social acceptance played no part in his decisions on the court or off of it.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Red, but I did get to watch him use some of his basketball coaching genius for a few minutes back in the late 1980’s. I attended a basketball clinic at the Boston Garden in which Red, Kevin McHale and a few other Celtics instructed some local college kids on the fundamentals on basketball. While this time was only a short period in my life, I knew then and I know now that I had an opportunity to listen to the greatest coach in NBA history discuss this wonderful game. I know I am lucky to have had a moment like that which I can have with me for the rest of my life. Someday, when I bring my children to watch the Celtics play, I will be sure to tell them about Red. I will tell them that he was the most important figure in NBA history and that, as Celtic fans, we were blessed to have him lead our organization.

Tonight, I think I am going to light one up for you Red. Thanks for everything!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home