Monday, August 21, 2006

Boston Massacre, Part Three

Wow. As a Red Sox fan, that is pretty much the first thing that comes to my mind after this weekend, a weekend that was about as painful as a regular season series could get. It would be one thing if the games were all close and we just made a few mistakes. That I could possibly handle. I am not saying that I would feel great about it, but it beats watching a team you can’t stand just pound your ball club as if they were the Kansas City Royals. Actually, I should scratch that. The Royals swept us a few weeks back. So where does that leave the Sox?

When you have a five game series in your home ballpark you expect no worse than losing the series three games to two. I truly expected a 3 to 2 Sox win in this series. Instead, I got to watch every pitcher the Sox put on the mound get hammered by every guy the Yankees brought to the plate. I mean, the Sox were torched by guys like Melky Cabrera, a decrepit Bernie Williams, Robinson Cano and Jorge Posada? It would be one thing if Sheffield and Matsui were playing or if A-Rod hit three homers, but it was pretty much anyone in the Yankees lineup. New York had just lost two out of three at home to the Orioles, the same Orioles that the Red Sox have beaten about four thousand times in a row. The only members of the Red Sox that should hold their heads up high are David Wells, Manny Ramirez and Mark Lorreta. Everyone else from John Henry to Alex Cora should be disgusted with their performance this weekend.

Where do the Red Sox go from here and, more importantly, where do I go as a fan? For the Sox, I think you let the young guys get more playing time, trade some of the veteran players who have cleared waivers and give up on this season. The Red Sox are not making the post season this year, never mind competing for a World Series. Where do I go for my sports fix? Well, we still have the best football team in the world. I think that will satisfy me. And if that is not good enough, at least the chance to root against the Yankees for another two months will be fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home