Sunday, June 25, 2006

Same Man, Different Uniform

This past Thursday, I watched Pedro Martinez pitch for the New York Mets. While this is not a new occurrence, there was a different feeling to this game. In the winter of 1997, the Boston Red Sox acquired Pedro from the Montreal Expos in exchange for pitching prospects Tony Armas and Carl Pavano. Pedro was coming off Cy Young Award-winning season in Montreal, yet we really had no clue about the amazing moments he was going to deliver to Red Sox Nation.

What made Thursday's game between the Cincinnati Reds and the New York Mets so different was that I was witnessing Pedro pitch live. I was attending my first ever game at Shea Stadium and the man who once captivated my feelings as a Sox fan was now throwing the ball for a new team. When players leave your favorite team in order to pursue greater fortunes or a new beginning with another club, you often lose your allegiance with said player. I felt that way with Mr. Martinez, at least initially I did. Soon after arriving into our seats on Thursday, my brother and I found ourselves cheering for Pedro and standing with anticipation on every two strike count. While he is not the same flamethrower he once was, he is still an amazing artist to watch on the mound. Cincinnati batters were caught staring at 60 miles per hour curve balls and then flailing aimlessly at 92 mile an hour heaters. This man with a fragile shoulder is still one of the best pitchers in the game and a wonderful site to behold.

While I may never cheer for Pedro with the same feelings I did while he pitched for Boston, I will never forget the moments he gave me from a fans perspective. I, for one, am very glad I got watch him throw one more time, in person, it is a thrill that I will never forget.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home